Planners

Planners
Planners

Scrapbooking

Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking

Party

Party
Party

Under the Influence Photography Project

Have you been to Paislee Press on Fridays? Develop Fridays started last week with photographer Jefra Starr Linn. Today's challenge was one that I had to really think about. We are to think of what artists influences our style. As an artist I am always inspired visually. What I struggle with is trying to find my own style while flooded with other artist's visual stimulation! While I am drowning in creative inspiration I loose who I am as an artist.

I really had to think about what influenced me as a beginning artist. Man, thinking back fifteen years was pretty hard. It was good though. What inspired me then, I realized inspires me now. When I looked at the entire list there was a common thread! What a relief!

My list includes these artists:

1. Masters

When I was young I was inspired by Claude Monet, Degas, and Vincent Van Gogh. Even though these artists are unlike in styles I noticed that what attracted me then (and now) was the use of color.

source: Claude Monet


source: Vincent Van Gogh

2. American Artist

Another artist that I loved more than the Masters was Norman Rockwell. His work displayed real life. His work tugged on my heart and moved me more than any other artist. I know it was the vintage appeal but it also told such a story in each piece.

source: Norman Rockwell

3. Children's Literature

There was a time in my life that I stopped painting and drawing. I didn't pick up a paint brush for about four years. During that time I was teaching preschool and fell in love with children's literature. I think I must have been deprived as a child because now I have over 1000 children's books. This morning I realized that some of the books in my collect inspire me artistically. I fell in love with the illustrations. Artists that inspire me are David Small, Steven Kellogg, Tana Hoban, and Eric Carle.

source: David Small

source: David Small

source: David Small


source: David Small


source: David Small



source: Eric Carle

source: photography by Tana Hoban
4. I am inspired by magazines. Victoria, Better Homes and Gardens Country Gardens, and Birds and Blooms. I love gardening but what attracts my eye to these are the photographs, use of bright colors, and vintage decorating!

5. Classic Movies

My sister and I use to climb in bed with my grandmother when she was sick and watch old films all day long. It was wonderful. At the same time she would quiz me on who was who. I am not sure I am as good at remembering all the details as I did then but classic movies still inspire me as an artist. Some of my favorite movies are...



There's so many more movies that I love but this post is already getting long. ;) The common thread through it all is that I love the use of color, texture, and stories that tell real life. Hey! Through this assignment I found - me! That's really what I am all about. If you try this assignment let me know. I would love to check out what defines you as an artist. I will be taking my picture soon to go with the assignment.

Create Well: Find what influences you. Discover yourself.