Planners

Planners
Planners

Scrapbooking

Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking

Party

Party
Party

1995 vs. 2005 Pride & Prejudice


I am not sure about the conversations that go on in your home when family come over for evening dessert. But, this debate is almost guaranteed to get heated in ours. Sometimes my husband likes to start the debate himself just to get a rise out of my twin sister.

This is how it went Friday night, "So, Becca, did you see how I bought Jen the better 'Pride and Prejudice' on blue ray?" This made Becca jump up with her eyes lit! "You did," she squealed! I looked at her and then rolled my eyes at my husband as I reminded her that he was talking about the 2005 movie of the novel. She got disappointed and before she could say anything my husband piped in, "Like I said, the better one." Wow! There he did it. The debate started. It made me laugh to think we were all debating which movie was really better. Here are the debatable differences:

1. Colin Firth vs. Matthew Macfadyen. It seems like when one is arguing the difference between the two movies that really women are standing by their man the character Mr. Darcy. Honestly, in my opinion it's a debate about no shirt vs. open shirt. ;)

2. You can watch the 2005 version three times before finishing the 1995 saga. LOL!

3. Although long, Andrew Davies wrote the 1995 film as accurately as he could, therefore making Jane Austen readers love it more! This story fills in the gaps that other films have laying on their editing room floor. I mean, really, a lot happened and there is only so much time in two hours!

4. Can you really beat Tom Hollander's performance of Mr. Collins?! Seriously, I have a hard time controlling my laughter every time. David Bamber just freaked me out. His version of Mr. Collins just gave me the heebie-jeebies.

5. There is a reason Keira Knightley was nominated for best actress. Not only her acting but the acting of Brenda Blethyn (as Mrs. Bennet) and Judi Dench (as Lady Catherine de Bourgh) set this movie apart with brilliant talent.

6. The only reason my husband would even sit through two hours of Jane Austen would be for dramatic cinematography! It is also the reason why my husband bought the 2005 Blue-ray addition on sale at Frys this weekend for me ($7.99 = killer deal!). ;)

I love to collect Pride and Prejudice novels. Some I use for my art, some just sit and look pretty, and others I love to curl up on the sofa and read. Just for fun, I am giving away one of my pretties. ;) Just leave a comment telling me which movie is your favorite and why to win this vintage 1956 copy of P&P!

Create Well: Next time your friends come over to scrap and eat dessert, don't spend fifteen minutes of it debating which P&P film is better. Just move on and get to creating. LOL!