Planners

Planners
Planners

Scrapbooking

Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking

Party

Party
Party

Telling Your Story: The Artistic Journey

Tonight Sarah, Becca and I went out to Corban University for a lecture discussing issues and struggles that face Christians involved in the arts. It was awesome to hear from three different artists, how they came to become an artist, and what inspires them to create.

I wanted to go and listen to this lecture because I have a desire to be a witness as I create. I enjoyed these statements tonight about art...

Art is a record of where I've been and where my faith has been.

If art is not your gift, God still ministers to you through art in some way.

However you express yourself, whether with music or visual art, make it personal. Others will resonate with it.

The gospel doesn't have to just be spoken with words but can be expressed visually as well.

Ultimately the question tonight was "What is a Christian's role in the art world?" Everyone explained it to be a testimony to what God has done. One panelist explained how she creates: "I create what I am feeling not for others but for Him. If someone is moved when they see the piece after it is done I feel blessed. But I didn't create it for them." She created it for Him.

Sarah explained it even more on the way home. "It's like that hymn 'Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in his wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of his glory and grace.’ When we are focused completely on God, the things around us are dim. We aren't dim to the world. In fact it is when we are focused on God that we shine the most.”

The artists that spoke tonight helped us realized that it is when we are focused on God and not ourselves that God uses those gifts he gave us, makes them shine, so that we can give glory back to him no matter if we teach, work in an office, mothering a child, or creating art.

Create Well: Create as God intended you to. Only then will you shine.