Planners

Planners
Planners

Scrapbooking

Scrapbooking
Scrapbooking

Party

Party
Party

Guest Designer - Michelle Lanning

Today's guest designer is the amazingly talented Michelle Lanning. Her use of color and design will knock your socks off! Michelle uses color and layering in a way that makes me want to pull out my stash and go for it! Michelle designs for Crate Paper, American Crafts, Cricut, and Glue Arts.


Hi there, my name is Michelle Lanning and I am excited to be here at Create Often!  I am was born and raised in Sunny Southern California.  I am a single momma to one wonderful and spirited 6 (and a half, if you ask her) year old named Alyson.  When I am not being a momma, scrapbooking, sewing, taking photos, playing in Photoshop, or surfing the net, I am an elementary school teacher.  Needless to say my day is packed, and I love it!

How would you describe your scrapbooking style?

I would say my style is definitely full of layers, dimension and color.  I love mixing color combinations to get something that is pleasing to the eye and not all that predictable.  I don't think I fit into any one category, I am definitely a mix of different styles.


What inspires you to be creative?

Lately I would say the addicting site on Pinterest!  I am inspired by so many things there and they are all in nice little categories for me to get inspiration should I need some.  Seriously, if you haven't been there - check it out! Lot's of drool worthy photos.

What are your favorite color combinations to design with right now?

I wouldn't say I have a favorite color combo, but I would say that right now I am gravitating to muted colors with a bit of pop.


What is your creative process?

It really depends.  If I am completing an assignment, I definitely let the product lead the way in how I am going to complete a layout and tell a story.  But if I am scrapping just to scrap, the pictures are the first item I choose. From there I usually choose my pattern paper, embellishments, and then start to create.  I usually wind up sticking to the products that I first pulled, and the photos are just about the last thing I put on the page, with journaling being dead last.


What is your story that you are trying to tell? How can this inspire others?

Whether I am scrapping to complete an assignment or just for fun, I always make sure that my layouts tell a story.  Usually the story will center around my daughter and tell about simple day to day task that make up so much of our life.  I want to remember those moments and share them with my daughter when she is grown.  I want to look back on those pages and laugh at something silly she did that we had totally forgotten, heck that even happens now when we look through old albums.   

I would tell anyone that is new to scrapbooking to not only scrap the milestones, but to scrap the everyday.  I think in the end, those will hold the most meaning.  I also think that is  why I have a harder time scrapbooking holidays and birthdays.  I LOVE those moments and love to have photos of them, but sometimes putting those in an album is enough.  But, hey, don't hold me to that!  I may bust out a Christmas album soon - hee!


How can you inspire others to "create well"? 

You know, I get asked how I manage to "do it all".  Because they can't seem to find the time to scrap.  Life is busy, I know that.  But I MAKE time to scrap.  It is my sanity.  It allows me to use my mind creatively and release stress at the same time.  I mean when you look at it that way, how could you NOT do it right?  I would say, just do it.  And do it for you, not for anyone else.  Sure for your kids, family, etc.  But lets be honest, they might not want 500 scrapbooks filling their garage as adults (gasp, I know, crazy:)).  But if you are creating for YOU then I think you can be a much better storyteller for your family, and odds are they will keep at least half the albums:) Have fun and create just for the sake of creating, it is much less stressful that way!


Michelle's blog, Tutus and Glue Dots,is filled with even more inspiration and you can follow her on Two Peas. 

Create Well: MAKE time to scrap.